“Ready Stranger One” (Mixed-Media, w/ Acrylic on Canvas) will be available to view and purchase at Los Angeles’ contemporary art destination—Mouche Gallery (firstname.lastname@example.org), April-May 2022 with prints being launched the weekend of February 25th, 2022 on PopArtLand.
Several distinct releases include: 1) the Mixed-Media original with unique graphic and painted details (30 x 45 in), 2) hand-embellished and standard Limited Editions at 24 x 36 in (with arcade + VHS-influenced side art), 3) Print and Color Proofs at 17 x 22 in (luster paper, archival ink) and 4) Omakase Editions at 8.5 x 11 in (luster paper, archival ink).
Teaser Trailer for “Ready Stranger One”, directed by Clive Barker? 冗談だよ〜(♡´艸`), along with oldest and newest openings for GeGeGe no Kitaro.
GeGeGe no Kitarō (ゲゲゲの鬼太郎), originally known as Hakaba Kitarō (墓場鬼太郎, “Kitarō of the Graveyard”), is a Japanese manga series created in 1960 by Shigeru Mizuki, who recently passed away. It’s best known for its popularization of the folklore creatures known as yōkai, a class of spirit-monster which all of the main characters belong to. This story was an early 20th-century Japanese folk tale performed on kamishibai. It has been adapted for the screen several times, as anime, live action, and video games. (Source: Wiki)
Ready Stranger One: B-Movie Storyline
Kazuki Sato is a gamer in HorrorScope—a banned quantum metaverse (powered by our dreams / nightmares), based on classic anime and 80’s cult cinema.
Sato, famous for his unbeatable avatar—Shigeru Mizuki’s Kitaro and his mastery of Japan’s mythic underworld (Yomi-no-kuni), has his game turned on its head by a player named Kozika (a demonic Frank Kozik-inspired Hello Kitty) who triggers an apocalyptic scenario by importing and opening a self-replicating Lament Configuration puzzle box, made famous in Clive Barker’s Hellraiser.
An invasion of the game at a sub-atomic level takes place, and the Mazone—hellish villains of Captain Harlock fame, begin to destroy everything in their path—both virtually and physically—by infecting the game with a (Go Nagai) Devilman virus.
Kitaro must summon the game’s original (now dead) creator—”The Stranger” (striking resemblance to Harlock), who assists him in assembling a team of anime rebels to fight the impossible threat, while the Devilman infection spreads, threatening to turn them all into servants of the evil Mazone Queen—Rafflesia—or whatever force is behind her…
While the art features a full metaverse of icons, iconography and memorabilia, here’s a lengthy list of some of the most notable elements:
- GeGeGe no Kitaro, along with Nezumi Otoko (Rat Man), Medama-Oyaji (Kitaro’s eyeball-like Dad), Kasa-Bake (holding a Franken-Kitty), Ittan Momen, Neko-Musume along with several Hello Kitty x Kitaro Gotochi-inspired characters, along with Mizuki’s Ukiyo-E style Japanese wave art
- Leiji Matsumoto’s Captain Harlock, the Mazone Queen Rafflesia (with Wicked City nails) and core elements inspired by Kitaro including the Cosmo Dragoon gun
- Speaking of guns, Kitaro holds a “Space Adventure Cobra” gun borrowed from a Figma release, modified slightly (it shoots bullets filled with a substance made famous in Phantasm but turned green in recent years)
- Go Nagai’s Devilman (which Kitaro is morphing into along with Speed Racer, who rides on Akira’s motorcycle in the background on a Tron-like loop-de-loop)
- Kawaii-style Kinnikuman (キン肉マン) cradles a bowl of Medama-Oyaji (naturally)
- Harlock is being poked by the iconic Gashadokuro (Utagawa Kuniyoshi, “Souma no furudairi (相馬の古内裏)” also known as “Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Spectre“.)
- Wicked City’s Makie’s eyes can be seen in the background with a close up on her (and lovely manicure) on the right side.
- a Kozik-inspired Hellraiser Kitty-Chan (Kozika) holds a Lament Configuration (designed from actual schematics, with added Golden Dawn symbol for fun)
- Mobile Suit Gundam Crossbone (機動戦士クロスボーン・ガンダム)
- Mazinger Z’s Koji Kabuto hybrid mash-up with Grendizer x Mazinkaiser (マジンカイザー).
- Mach 5 with Back to the Future’s DeLorean license plate.
- Koji Kabuto rides a Garland from Megazone 23
- Ken Washio from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman and his plane
- Ninja Hattori-Kun as Daruma(with his own mask from 20th Century Boys)
- Casshan’s robot dog, Friender
- Packaged in an 80’s Horror x Stranger Things x Ready Player One x Cyberpunk x Miami Vice x Blade Runner (VHS) colorations + iconography / vibe
- Nod to January Wayne of Jacqueline Susann’s “Once is Not Enough”
“Ready Stranger One” was created by Sean Danconia as a commission for a Kitaro + classic anime / manga fan. The collage itself (and final mixed-media painted original) utilizes a range of techniques including but not limited to: acrylic paint, acrylic gel, pigment markers, archival ink, spray paint, hand drawing (digital and traditional), photography, 3D / CGI effects, iconographic collage, silver bullet cuttings, typographic art and lettering, etc.
Feel free to get in touch with us for any commission concept and quote. We have various price points available depending on size, complexity, medium and time frame. Make your art dreams come true today!